Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What We Found Out About Our Stolen Car


This morning I was startled awake when my husband asked me where I’d parked the car.  I told him in the driveway, and he said it’s not there.


Our driveway is steep, and if the transmission were to fail, it would roll down to our neighbor’s back yard, so hubby went walking down there to see if that had happened.  On his way, he saw a car 5 doors down the street with its reverse lights on, but faint and not moving.  Turns out, that was our missing car.


The car was in reverse, but the engine dead.  There was not enough juice in the battery to start the engine, but the lights were on and dim.  The driver’s side door was open, as was the glove box and the center console.  Though it was in reverse, the car was pulled up so that the front tires were against the curb, but they were not turned.  The passenger side door had been opened and not closed properly.  The weird part was, the GPS was left on the dash, my cards were still under the mess on the floor, and there was a ring of decent value I’d left on the passenger seat.  All of this was still there.  I even begun to think it was a prank by God only knows who.  All I knew was I was FURIOUS. 


Just before the local PD arrived, I also remembered that last night our dog had been giving a low growl.  Not the kind that is freaking out like he does for wild life, but a warning growl that he gives when sometimes someone’s out in the street, which at 10 at night, around here the kids are sometimes out at the basketball court, so we didn’t really think much of it.  With a new battery in the car, and where the battery level was when we found it, the timeline now makes sense,


I kept trying to figure out why our car seemed to be the only one hit, and why they’d leave it where they did.


When PD did arrive, the guy was already tired, and explained it was going to be a long morning.  We were the second stolen car he was working on this morning, and he said he expects more.  I asked why that was, and he tells me:


Overnight a guy ran from PD.  They caught him on R Ave, across town from me.  When they found him, they found he had a backpack full of prescription medications with addresses from various points around town, including several from a block away from us. 


After PD left, I was walking back to the house to feed the kids, who were waking up, as Hubbster was trying to get the car to start, when I realized that there is another car, left in place, but rifled through three doors down from me.  That same house has another car on the street with the keys sitting out on the seat that was left untouched.   It would appear the rest of our things were left behind because he was looking for medications, and that he was just hitting every few cars as he went along, got to the end, and found ours an easy get away.  NO idea why he left it, except maybe either he saw the car seats and grew a conscience, or, with the passenger door being oddly opened, he may have not been alone, but realized that with my mess, there was no place for his buddy, and left it at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment